Architectural design, commercial architecture and land planning are some of the themes that make up the new Australian Capital Territory’s “tower of glass”.
But what is a tower of window glass?
And why would you want to build one of those?
In this episode of the Architecture Podcast, architect and designer Richard Daley explains the story behind the construction of the new tower.
The story of the construction and its symbolism has been told before.
In the book, The Tower of Glass: The Rise and Fall of an Architectural Icon, the author Paul Balfour recounts how, during World War II, his father and brother built the first of many glass skyscrapers in Sydney, Sydney Harbour.
The two brothers, George and Richard, both worked in the construction industry and they both had their own vision for the future of Sydney.
When the war ended, their vision for a glass and steel skyscraper in Sydney was abandoned and the brothers moved to Melbourne.
But they kept building, eventually constructing their own tower on the outskirts of the city.
The first tower was completed in 1954.
But it was not the end of the glass skyscraper story.
A few years later, the brothers, after their retirement, moved to Canberra and opened their own glass and aluminium skyscraper.
The tower of metal was finished in 1962, a few years after the first tower in Sydney.
And in 1965, the tower of windows was completed, with the first residential units being built on the site in 1969.
The tower in 1972, with its glass, was finished with its first residential unit.
But by 1976, the building was no more.
Then in 1982, the twin towers of the old Sydney Harbour Bridge, the original and second Sydney Harbour Towers, were demolished and the building’s remaining parts were turned into apartments and apartments in the CBD.
The towers had been so popular that they were demolished as well, in 1985.
So what changed?
Well, it is often claimed that the towers were the best in Sydney’s history.
They were not, but the building is now the tallest residential building in the world, at a height of 1,000 metres (3,200 feet).
And it has become the home to the National Building Museum.
The reason for this is not just the building itself, but also the heritage it has and the fact that the building, withstood the ravages of time, climate change and the impacts of earthquakes.
It has been said that the design of the tower was inspired by the Chinese concept of “two-timing”.
It is believed that when the towers first opened, people would wait outside the building for the first light, which was the first sign that something was happening.
Once people got inside, they could see what was going on outside.
There is also a story that the tower, which had an underground elevator, was designed by the same architects who built the Sydney Opera House and the Sydney Olympic Park.
That story was recently confirmed by the National Museum of Australia, with a series of photographs of the towers being shown at the Australian National Exhibition in Sydney in 2019.
But what did the developers think of the idea?
Some say the building has become an icon of modern Sydney and an iconic symbol of the capital.
Others say the towers are not the most exciting thing to happen in Sydney since it’s become such a centre for tourism.
And still others say that the buildings design was designed to be more than just an advertisement for the area, but to symbolise the way the city was changing, from the Industrial Revolution to the rise of suburbia.
This is where the history of the building comes into play.
Historic buildings have been constructed for many different purposes in Sydney and in Australia.
This is one of them.
In the 19th century, the Harbour Bridge was a key feature of Sydney’s skyline.
On the morning of the opening day of the Sydney Harbour Festival, in 1876, a new Harbour Bridge opened and the city exploded.
The structure was so impressive that it was designed as a tribute to the bridge’s importance.
For the next three years, the City of Sydney commissioned architects and engineers to design a new bridge, and in 1900, a massive structure was built on a cliff overlooking the city, in the form of a six-storey building.
At the time, the structure was estimated to cost $12 million.
Many of the details have been preserved in the historic buildings in the city’s north, including the original scaffolding and the original concrete, which became the foundation of the structure.
After the completion of the Harbour bridge, Sydney’s Harbour Bridge Company moved into the site.
In 1921, the site was designated as the City and State Museum of Sydney, which has remained open and open since.
During the 1960s, the Museum was redeveloped into the Sydney Maritime Museum, which includes